Events and Performances
Come on down to a gig and be inspired! If you're interested in booking an Ambient Orchestras group for a gig or starting a group, please contact us.
Past Events and Performances
Ambient Orchestras held dozens of events and performances throughout 2009 and 2010. Here are some of the highlights:
- The dynamic Comfortable Ok played at advocacy group VALID's 'The Keys to Success' conference in Preston on Friday 12th October 2012. Click here for more information.
- Sunbury-based Ambient Orchestras group, Comfortable OK, will be supporting Rudely Interrupted at The Global Learning Centre in Broadmeadows on Friday 21st September at 7pm - see brochure for details.
- The Granary in Sunshine witnessed a local music and visual art extravaganza on Thursday 7th June.
Brought to you by Gallery Sunshine Everywhere and Ambient Orchestras the afternoon was the the perfect wind down for the week.
- Comfortable Ok performed at The Meadow Heights Learning Shop on Thursday 10th May as part of a Community Info Expo. There was a sausage sizzle, information exchange and chilled out sounds.
- The Artistic Inclusion Project in Sunbury is into its second term now, with music students from Salesian College working with individuals from Distinctive Options (a pathways service fore young people with an intellectual
disability). The group, Comfortable Ok, did some great work with poet Barry Garner last year and recorded and performed through 2012.
- The dynamic Comfortable Ok performed at The Sunbury Farmers Market on Saturday 14th July. Fresh local produce mixed with ambient sounds made for a memorable Saturday morning.
- Ambient Orchestras groups Joy st. and Rainbow on My Wrist collaborated for a cracking performance at The Delahey and Sydenham Community Centres Open Day on Saturday May 12th. There was a great community spirit mixed with wonderful food and music makes for fun times.
- The Artistic Inclusion Project in Sunbury is into its second term now, with music students from Salesian College working with individuals from Distinctive Options (a pathways service fore young people with an intellectual disability). The group, Comfortable Ok, did some great work with poet Barry Garner last year and is working towards recording and performing in the coming months, so keep your ears to the ground!
- Ambient Orchestras were involved in a series of gigs at the UCAN Cafe in Nth. Altona. It's been a lovely way to spend a Sunday morning, with great coffee and beautiful music.
- On 24th March 2012, Rainbow On My Wrist played at the Brimbank Festival. ROMW played three sets in The Sunshine Library, working with singer/flautist Ticki Ogilvy and percussionist Euticas in creating 'off-street soundscapes' for the festival.
- The wonderful Joy St. played a great stripped back set in early March 2012 as part of Footscray Rotary's music scholarship presentation. The group jammed with the winner of the scholarship, a young bass player from Footscray named Ben to great response!
On 11th December 2011 at The Granary Cafe Sunshine, ROMW launched an exhibition of artwork of high school students from the local area (run by Gallery Sunshine Everywhere).
On 8th December 2011 at the Western Gardens Nursing Home, ROMW performed an 'Ambient Carols' set for the residents, incorporating Christmas stories from individuals into the music.
- Ambient Orchestras and The Boilover Theatre Group reprised their sublime collaboration, 'The Boy Who Could Fly' in The George Evans Room of the Sunbury Library at 11am on Saturday 3rd December. This was a wonderful opportunity for folks to support local art in the Hume area and celebrate International Day of People with a Disability. Download brochure here.
- Comfortable o.k are an Ambient Orchestras group based at the Sunbury Youth Centre. They played live in Federation Square as part of a 3CR outside broadcast on 2nd December at 11am. The group performed with author/poet Barry Garner & percussionist/vocalist Gemma Belfrage to create the aural equivalent of long, tall glass of chilled Sars on a summer's day! More info.
- ROMW played at the Delahey Community Centre Community Concert at 2pm on Saturday 14th May. There was great music, company and delicious food! The amazingly talented and intuitive musicians from Rainbow on my Wrist performed with the Singlish Multi-Cultural choir.
- The wonderful and everpresent Rainbow on My Wrist played at The Maroondah Art Gallery in Ringwood on Friday 18th March 2011. They opened an exhibition of artwork created by SCOPE participants for the Kaleidescope project. Anthony Borg from Joy st. was guesting with the gang on keyboards and guitar, a treat for the ears!
See brochure for details.
- Rainbow on my Wrist and very special guests took over the Sunshine Plaza Stage as part of The Brimbank Festival on Saturday 19th March 2011. The group did their thing at midday, right after the parade. More festival details here.
- The Joy St. Ambient Orchestras played at The Yarraville Gardens for The Yarraville Picnic at 2:30 pm on Sunday 20th March 2011. Joined by the insightful and dynamic poet, Esther Tuddenham, the group played two 20 minute sets of sublime, chilled Sunday afternoon fodder. The Yarraville Gardens is on the corner of Hyde st. and Sommerville rd. in Yarraville.
- Rainbow on My Wrist openined an art exhibition at The Granary Cafe on Devonshire Rd. in Sunshine at 3pm on Monday 13th December 2010 . The visual art was provided by the students of Marion College Sunshine. The aural art was conjoured up by this experienced Ambient Orchestras group who have played at both Federation Square and Etihad Stadium to name but two in the last six months. There were beautiful sounds and inspiring artwork!
- The French performed at Finns Reserve in Templestowe as part of the All Abilities Arts & Music Festival at 11am on Friday 3rd December 2010. The audience was blown away by this Ambient Orchestras group who are based at the Abbotsford Convent as part of Interact's Arts Ed. program.
- The last Community Concert at Delahey Community Centre for the year was on Sunday 28th November! Joy St. and Rainbow on My Wrist performed - click here for brochure.
- Rainbow on My Wrist played at Etihad Stadium on 10th November 2010! ROMW performed at the SCOPE AGM in the Victory Room at Etihad Stadium in a standout performance.
- The French at the Convent Open Day: Combining original songs and poetry with rockin' guitars and synths is what The French do best. As part of the Futures for Young Adults program via Interact Australia's Arts Education initiative, this group has come along in leaps and bounds since their formation at the start of the year. They played a multi-media collaboration with visual artists Hung-Up in the Arts Ed. studio on 7th November 2010.
- On 30th October 2010 at The Big Reveal: Footscray Community Arts Centre: Dynamic, Ambient Orchestras group The Fifth Floor performed as part of the opening of FCAC wonderful new performance and admin space. They blowed minds in the Basement Theatre!
- Ambient Orchestras has been running music workshops for Year nine students at Sunshine College as part of The Smith Family "positive notions of mental health" project. The project encompassed music, drama, creative writing, visual art and sport. The music group named themselves in[sect], and were a standout on the performance on the evening of 26 October 2010, performing beautifully modern instrumental rock pieces with spoken word from the creative writing crew. Congratulations to The Smith Family on co-ordinating such a valuable project. See some feedback on our testimonials page.
- The collaborative performance of Joy St Ambient Orchestra and Singlish Multi-cultural choir was a great success on 21st October at the Neighbourhood House AGM, Melon Street Braybrook
- Rainbow on My Wrist performed at the North & West Metro. Region Disability Expo on Oct 11th at 2pm. The expo was for anyone with an interest in Respite service provision for individuals with an intellectual disability and their families/ carers/ significant others. They witnessed the music and poetry of this wonderful band. More info >>
- Ambient Orchestras group, Rainbow on my Wrist, performed at Federation Square as part of the SCOPE community inclusion event Walk with Me on Sunday 12th September. The group provided a chilled-out soundtrack to a CBD Sunday morning at 9:30 am during registration for the event, with music that soothed the soul!
- The Fifth Floor performed at Bill Shorten's Campaign Launch Sunday 15th August 2010 at
The Clocktower Centre in Moonee Ponds (750 Mt. Alexander Rd.)
This was the pre-election gig not to miss.
Local folk-rock legends The Ploughboys also played!
- Ambient Orchestras and the Delahey Community Centre presented two of the most sublime experimental instrumental outfits in Melbourne's West.
On Sunday 20th June 2010 from 4-7pm, Joy St. and Rainbow on My Wrist performed with the Singlish Multi-cultural choir and the Brimbank Bellydancers.
Additionally, internationally acclaimed Scottish bagpiper and low-whistle player Andy Ogilvy played for the audience's listening pleasure.
It was an evening of community, music and good vibes! More >>
- Rainbow on my Wrist will be performing at the Errington Reserve Community Centre in St. Albans as part of SCOPE's "See the Person Day" and the National Music Council's, "Making Music-Being Well" week on Tuesday 18th May. More details>>
- The Footscray Ambient Orchestra performed at the Hume Global Learning Centre in Broadmeadows on Saturday 8th May 2010 . More info >>
- The ABI (Acquired Brain Injury) Compass Club House Ambient Orchestra cooked up a sonic storm on Monday 10th May at the Cafe Koula on High St. Northcote. See brochure for details.
- The Footscray Ambient Orchestra performed their show, 'Seeing is Believing' on Sunday 7th March 2010 at the Belgrave Heights Convention Centre. Guests were overwhelmed by stunning music, poetry, visual projection and vibe!
- Sector 5 Extreme, the Ambient Orchestras group based at the Abbotsford Convent performed at the International Human Rights Day at the Hume Global Learning Centre in Broadmeadows on Thursday December 10th at 10:30am. Check the brochure.
- Rainbow on my Wrist, the Ambient Orchestras Group from SCOPE St. Albans performed at the opening of "Evolution", a pottery exhibition at the Hunt Club Community Arts Centre in Deer Park, on 14th October and also performed at The Granary on Devonshire Rd in Sunshine on Monday 14th December at 4pm.
- The Footscray Ambient Orchestra (Footscray Community Arts Centre) performed as part of the Block Party, an event within the Art of Difference Festival on Saturday 14th March and Tuesday 17th March 2009. Audiences loved the show and gave some wonderful feedback which is available at our testimonials page.
- The Hunt Club Ambient Orchestra performed at Errington Community Centre on Wednesday 17th June, 2009 with over 80 people attending. Check out some of our feedback from the day on our testimonials page.
- The Footscray Ambient Orchestra worked in conjunction with the Boilover Theatre Group in creating soundscapes for All Kinds of Fairytales, a play performed on Friday 16th October (Special Showing for Sunbury and Macedon Ranges Specialist
School) and Saturday 17th October.
- The Footscray Ambient Orchestra performed "I Imagine" in the Basement Theatre at the Footscray Community Arts Centre on Thursday 3rd December as a part of International Day of People with a Disability.
- The Footscray Ambient Orchestra performed at the Networking Your Business seminar presented by the Inner West Business Community on 16th November.
Thanks to everyone who was involved and to all of our guests! Don't forget to check out our media page where you can download MP3s of Ambient Orchestra performances.